“Rangamalai and Karumalai are important mountain ranges located in the border of Dindigul and Karur district of Tamil Nadu. This is a reserve forest range with an altitude of 3,500 feet and has the Malleshwarar Temple on top. People across the state come here during Maha Shivaratri, seeking the blessings of the Almighty. Villagers say that the British identified gold deposits here and it was known as Thangamalai intially. Since then, this mountain range has been under radar of different agencies scanning it for mineral deposits. Rangamalai which is hardly explored or monitored, is also home to some rare medicinal plants and a rich diversity of flora and fauna. Documentation and awareness are the first steps towards conservation. ROF is consistently working on both the aspects.
The mighty mountains are the major source for having good ground water to the surrounding villages. Disturbing the ecological balance of Rangamalai and Karumalai in any form will not only affect the wildlife but would also deplete the aquifers for hundreds of kilometers. Hence, it is our duty to conserve such beautiful natural treasures to give a greener and healthier living space for our future generations.”— Mr. Pradeep Kumar Manickam, Director, Rangamalai Organic Farms
Apart from the regular natural farming, we at Rangamalai Organic Farms believe that conservation of ecology around the farm is equally important for a every farmer. We here at our farm started conserving the flora and fauna in and around our farm as part of Ecological conservation.
- Native Seed Conservation through Community Seed Bank
- Ecological conservation of our native breeds of domesticated animals such as cattle, poultry, cats and dogs.
- Ecological conservation of Birds and Flies in Rangamalai surrounds.
- Studied and documented various soil, stones and mineral deposits around our farm.
- Studying and documenting various medicinal herbs and plants which source as healthy food and medicine.
- Agroforestry: We convert barren land to bio diversified food forest. We have grown over 1500 trees which include 500+ species of trees and 90+ native varieties of fruit trees.